This course provides the skills and knowledge necessary to identify asbestos containing materials (ACMs) or suspected ACMs, and to ensure that appropriate action is taken.
Topics covered include:
Identification of asbestos or asbestos containing materials, why exposure to asbestos MUST be avoided and a strong emphasis on what to do if a suspected ACM is identified. The training session will include images and video footage showing typical ACMs. Please note that due to high risk nature of the subject matter no physical examples of an ACM will be present during this session.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the properties of asbestos
- Understand the health risks associated with asbestos exposure
- Be aware of how asbestos is used, and the likely occurrences of asbestos
- Identify asbestos and asbestos containing materials (ACMs)
- Understand the OHS legislative and Workcover NSW Code of Practice requirements regarding asbestos management in the workplace
- Describe the safety requirements of working with asbestos
- Implement emergency procedures to manage an uncontrolled release.
All participants will be issued with a Statement of Attendance. Please note that as this is only a brief awareness course, a competency-based accreditation cannot be awarded.